Karen has been in the health and wellness industry for over 20 years. Her passion for a holistic approach to health came after a weight loss pill caused her to have a stroke and open-heart surgery at the age of 35. With the unexpected death of her husband and the complexities of her own health issues, her well-being was paramount as a single mother of two young boys. Through Karen’s own personal journey, she has become passionate about many areas of health including optimal gastrointestinal function, autoimmune disease, the pervasive effects of food sensitivities, inflammation and the rich importance of hormone balance. She has a particular expertise in blood sugar management.
Karen’s specialty includes specific dietary intervention, lifestyle/stress management and nutraceutical recommendations. she supports clients who want a completely natural approach as well as work side-by-side support work with primary care physicians and specialists to ensure maximum support of the client. Karen specializes in teaching people the importance of listening to the body’s clues and understanding the power of whole nutrition.
Karen has built a thriving practice on empowering her clients to recognize the intricacies of health and getting to the root cause of disease in obtaining overall wellness.
Karen Ellis is a Functional Medicine Practitioner through The School of Applied Functional Medicine. Karen’s health coaching training and certification is from Columbia University for the Institute of Integrative Nutrition in New York. She is board certified by the American Association of Drugless Practitioners. She holds a B.S. in Psychology from the New York Institute of Technology and is a classically trained raw and whole foods chef from Lincoln Culinary School. Karen promotes client-centered health strategies with a focus on cellular function.
Karen continues to expand on her many years of experience in functional health and lab testing and maintains certification in several areas including:
- Lifetime member of the exclusive Functional Wellness Collaborative and Mentorship -(Present) – Jennifer Savage MD
- Functional Medicine Practitioner – The School of Applied Functional Medicine
- Advanced Anatomy/Physiology and Biology – Univ Western States
- B.S. in Psychology- New York Institute of Technology
- Nutritional Biochemistry – Dr. Bryan Walsh, Metabolic Fitness
- Glucose Regulation Physiology – Dr. Bryan Walsh, Metabolic Fitness
- Functional Blood Chemistry Interpretation – Dr. Dicken Weatherby
- New Healers Mastery Coaching Program – Andrea Beaman
Additional Certification Training:
- Cogence Immunology – Under the direction of Dr. Samuel Yanuck (Present)
- Clinical Studies in Detoxification Pathways- Dr. Bryan Walsh, Metabolic Fitness
- Clinical Studies in Mitochondrial Function – Dr. Bryan Walsh, Metabolic Fitness
- Clinical Studies in Functional Physiology – Dr. Bryan Walsh, Metabolic Fitness
- Clinical Studies in Blood Chem Interpretation – Dr. Bryan Walsh, Metabolic Fitness
- Clinical Studies in Cellular Function Interpretation – Dr. Bryan Walsh, Metabolic Fitness
- Pathway Planner Clinical Application – Dr. Ben Lynch, Seeking Health
- Advanced Thyroid Training Course – Andrea Beaman
- Integrative Transformation Coach – Debbie Ford, The Ford Institute
- Classically Trained Chef Certified in Nutritional Health – Lincoln Culinary Institute
- Functional Organic Acid Interpretation – Elizma Lambert
- Functional OAT Interpretation – Jennifer Savage, MD
- DUTCH Testing Interpretation – Jennifer Savage, MD
- Certified Holistic Health Coach – Institute for Integrative Nutrition